Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How to: Make Almond butter

Has anyone else noticed that nut butters are getting really expensive at the store? Lately it seems you can rarely find a jar of almond butter for less than $5. A few months ago I noticed roasted almonds were on sale in the bulk department of my supermarket. I decided it was time to make my own nut butter and now I don't think I could go back! The result is better and cheaper than what you can buy and it also gives you the chance to make some unique flavors.

The only special equipment you need is a food processor. Otherwise making your own jar of nut butter is super simple.

I decided to make Vanilla Cinnamon Almond butter this time.

Ingredients
-2 teaspoonfuls of cinnamon
-1 teaspoonful of vanilla extract
-2 1/2 cups of roasted almonds

1.) Put all the almonds in your food processor
2.) Turn the food processor on and let it go until you have almond butter!
3.) Add the vanilla and cinnamon and stir to combine


I will say it will sound pretty scary when you first turn on the food processor. The nuts will go through several stages. First they will just get chopped up and then they will turn into a powder. Soon a big ball of paste will form. You may think it's not going to work out but just let it keep running and all of a sudden the paste loosens and you have nut butter!


No comments:

Post a Comment