Saturday, March 9, 2013

How to: Make Chocolate Almond Butter

I have a love hate relationship with Nutella, it's almost too delicious. I can't be the only one to say I've eaten too many spoonfuls right out of the jar. The thing that bums me out about Nutella is the lack of hazelnuts and the amount of sugar.

In this recipe, I replaced the hazelnuts with almonds and reduced the sugar significantly from the original.

This Chocolate Almond Butter is delicious on toast, waffles, sliced apples and of course right from the jar.

Ingredients
- 3 cups of almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- canola oil as needed to make it smooth and creamy

1.) Put all 3 cups of almonds in a food processor and let it run until the almonds have turned into butter!
-My almonds seemed really dry today and would not make a butter so I ended up adding about 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Add the oil slowly, you can always add more but you can't take it out!
2.) Add the sugar, cocoa and vanilla and then turn the food processor back on to mix.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Kim. Do you use raw or roasted almonds in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharni- I used raw almonds in this recipe but you could use roasted too. Roasted almonds seem to make a butter quicker than raw almonds but sometimes I think they have a little too strong of a taste if you are going to flavor the butter as well. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. If you toast the almonds first, and then toss them onto the food processor, it helps to release their natural oils faster.

      Delete
    3. By that, I mean, if you process them when they are warm, not cooled off.

      Delete
  2. I've been making regular almond butter (with a drop of honey). preheating the oven as I type to roast the almonds and try this. Just going to make a cup for starters....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I didn't need to add any of the oil. It's yummy.

      Delete
    2. So glad you liked it Laurie!

      Delete