This soup is a great one pot meal that comes together quickly and doesn't make a big mess. It's also great because most of the ingredients are pantry staples so it could be a stand in for a last minute dinner.
Ground beef or grilled steak/chicken would also be great add ins if you are not looking for a vegetarian meal.
Ingredients, recipe adapted from Dishing the Divine
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes w/their juices
- 3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 cups low sodium chicken or beef stock
- 1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1.) Heat the oil in a stock pot or dutch oven over medium high heat
2.) Add the onions and garlic and saute until transulcent
3.) Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer for 20-25 minutes
4.) If desired, puree about half the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender
5.) Add additional stock if the soup is too thick
6.) Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!